Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Ashlynn's Big Easy Birthday Bender

Breakfast is served in the sun.
 To celebrate the big 27 this year, I decided on a road trip to New Orleans in order to reconnect with sin and the devil and give high-fives to transvestites and street walkers.  My friends and I stayed at a great little B&B called the Olde Town Inn,  which was quaint and comfortable and had one hell of a courtyard.  I could have extended my stay until the end of summer. 
Here is where we had coffee every morning. 
The Marigny was an extremely hip area, a great place to get lost and look around. A few blocks down, we found this neat public art installation: 

My contribution. 
My favorite local bar was called "The John," where all of the table tops were oversized toilet seats. What I love about New Orleans is its attitude. The waiters don't give a damn, and the streets smell like a combination of urine and smoked boudin. 


Had the best time stepping on stage at The Spotted Cat with The Cottonmouth Kings, a great swing band that was convinced by Brie to let me intrude on their set and sing a Son House song. Quite a memory. Hopefully they weren't too annoyed by our half-drunk antics. Even if they were, they made my little heart full to the brim this night.



Oh, and did I mention the food! My favorite was a grilled cheese/boudin sandwich that we snagged at the New Orleans Roadfood Festival. Delish!
<------Oh, and look at this little gem I picked up at Jim Russell's Records on Magazine Street. My grandfather, Dale Gothia, playing with The Boogie Kings at Crystal Beach. What a find!


Great friends. Great place. Great fun. 



When I returned home, my grandmother had made me a giant pot of chicken and sausage gumbo and a chocolate cake, my dad gave me a hand-wrapped present (all of the mail that has been collecting at his house for the past months), and Kassafrass sent me "happy" flowers. I hope now that this funk is officially over. If I whine anymore this month, slap me. 
Omnombo
Onommycake
My dad's present to me.  Mail. : /
Happy Flowers from Kass

2 comments:

  1. Your opening line is exquisite. Way to be cute and funny. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun trip. I'm with Adrienne on this one. I try to do that anywhere I go, makes the return home that much better.

    ReplyDelete